[Reviews - 51] Liked
Summary:

The priest says her name, and the bird in her chest beats its wings harder. Wearily, she realises it is time to leave again.

 

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

(Clare Harner)


Rated: E
Categories: Post-Series
Characters: Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes
Word count: 15305 Read: 2512
Published: November 25, 2022 Updated: November 30, 2022



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

This picks up where the finale ended, and is a fix-it fic only in that it tries to fast forward what we know is coming, and skip to a reunion. To get there, you have to go via a fairly grim first chapter, but the second chapter will begin the healing.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 16] Liked (3207 words)

Rating will change to E in the next chapter or so, and I will update the warnings then. 

My assumption, however insanely unlikely--blame the show--is that Carol and Daryl did not go canon during the year-long time jump. They adjusted to their new roles, and they got busy with life stuff again the way they did when they first moved to the Commonwealth. Also, we're going to pretend Daryl left to look for Rick for the purposes of this story.

Factual errors (Mercer's title, anything geographical) are due to disinterest and no desire to rewatch. Soz.

2. Chapter 2 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 10] Liked (3877 words)

Please note this story is now rated E, and I have added some warnings. 

Whatever happened to Daryl did not happen in France. Imagining that kind of travel became logistically untenable for me.

3. Chapter 3 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 10] Liked (3798 words)

Well, there will in fact be one more chapter after this, because I adjusted the pace somewhat in this one. 

Readers of Know The Dark, I'm really sorry for the tangent. As soon as the last chapter of this is posted, I will update KTD.

Realised after posting this that I had forgotten to update the rating and the warnings despite announcing that I had. Save fail. I have corrected it.

Thank you for your reviews Heart They are kind and encouraging and appreciated.

4. Chapter 4 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 15] Liked (4423 words)

The last chapter. Thank you for reading. This was never going to be a detailed story explaining away the absolute fuckery of the show in separating them again, and I have enjoyed not really having to do that--apologies if you were hoping for a comprehensive plot. I just wanted them to be together again.